Monday, October 29, 2007

To Understand & Accept

Somehow the previous post just does not feel right.

It's not concise enough, heck I think it does not even deliver up to 70% of what I was really thinking about when I wrote it.

When it comes to Malays and Malaysia, my belief and hope is that one day in the future, we will all be integrated and become simply Malaysians (not just on paper but rather in its truest sense).

It's undeniably good to care about the Malays, but what I meant by 'care' here is to 'care enough to give' the younger generation of Malays all the elements necessary for them to grow and maximize their potentials. It is only when these kids have grown up and are able to stand at par with fellow Malaysians of their time that the process of integration will take place naturally (yes naturally - look at kids of different races in sekolah kebangsaan and how they mix around).

Mahatma Gandhi once said "Be the change you want to see in the world" and as such I have started my own little puny step towards this future that I carry in my mind. I took my first step by learning Mandarin..and that has contributed greatly in my effort of trying to understand my neighbors and friends of different races (truth be told, I don't even like this word -race, I'd rather say cultural background).

I honestly think that the time of "bertoleransi antara satu sama lain" has come to an end years ago, what we need to do now is to "memahami dan menerima antara satu sama lain".

To understand and Accept.

No comments: